Estimated Reading Time: 2 minutes
- The student will be competent in the assessment and resuscitation of the patient presenting with severe sepsis or septic shock.
- The student will be able to assess a patient presenting with sepsis to produce a valid differential diagnosis, investigate appropriately, formulate and implement a management plan.
- Be aware of guidelines with regard to antibiotic selection and use. Knowledge of common gram negative and gram positive organisms producing sepsis.
- Know the ‘Sepsis Six’.
- Be aware of the first steps in the management of the patient with ‘severe sepsis’ and ‘septic shock’. Rapidly assesses the shocked patient in terms of ABC, airway, breathing and circulation.
- Be able to interpret initial investigations such as a venous blood gas.